Sunday, December 16, 2007

Better without English?


We sent one of our previous blog entries (Do We Speak English Too Well for Our Own Good?) as a letter to the editor of the Philippine Daily Inquirer several days back. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that they had published it yesterday.

That, in turn, led to one non-Filipino reader to email our executive director, and they've had a short exchange that we thought we should share.

At his request, we've changed his name and deleted his email info. Let's just call him George.

*** Sanctuary is a brass sculpture on sandstone by Michael Cacnio (2006). It is part of his landmark Reflections on Red solo exhibition. To view the exhibit, click here.
=======================================

On Dec 16, 2007 7:02 PM, George wrote:

Dear Gigo,
I think time will be the judge of the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the present system. I note in your email that those who you mention as successful probably attended school in another time and environment. When I worked here in the 60s, I found a different type of Filipino with a more enlightened view of their future. I really don't see that much now. I had 30 employees working under my supervision and I found them efficient, committed, accountable for their actions, and dependable. Most migrated to the U.S. and have been relatively successful there.
From what I have read, and see, I do not believe it is better now but, as I said earlier, time will tell if I am wrong. I don't know one writer from another but there seems to be more concern among writers (here) that there is something amiss in the present education system.
I love the Philippines. My wife of 25 years is a Filipino. I have lived here (over a 70 year span) for about 15 years, six and a half this time. I hope you are right and I am wrong because that is what I want to see happen here.
Again, thanks for the communication.
Sincerely,
George


December 16, 2007

Dear George,

For all that is bad about the Philippine educational system, I don't think it is as bad as you perceive it to be. This system still produces graduates at the very least at par with some of the best universities out there. Modesty aside, I know - I am a product of the Philippine educational system - and I completed my graduate studies in the US (University of CA System) at the top of my class. I know several others who had similarly distinguished stays. Hundreds of Filipinos go abroad each year for graduate studies - although a good chunk of them stay there and don't return, at least for a good number of years. (But this, is less an indictment of the educational system as it is of the environment that current governance engenders).

The University of the Philippines is stocked with world-class faculty with PhDs from the best universities from the US, EU and Japan. Many of the students there are products of the public school system - not just in Manila or the major cities. In fact, for example, the current head of the Phivolcs, who holds a PhD from Scripps Oceanographic Institute (the number 1 school of its kind in the US), emerged from a school in one of the poorest rural provinces in the Philippines.

UP, Ateneo, La Salle, UST, and the other universities collectively produce enough graduates with the POTENTIAL to lead this country in the years to come. The problem is that not enough deserving Filipinos have the chance to grow to their fullest potential - and that is the challenge... and the hope.

As for the other countries, I think you either underestimate the Philippines, or overestimate the rest. Thailand, for example, will face extremely tough times when their King passes away. Note, too - for all our political problems - we are still growing at 6-7% per year - a rate other countries will do anything to get. And truthfully - those countries wouldn't hold a candle to nightlife in Manila, not to mention our beaches. :-)

I write, not to debate you, but rather to hope that when you talk with your friends who are not from here, or who may share the same perceptions - you might speak more positively and more hopefully of this great country.

Don't be sad for the Philippines. I'm not. Quite the contrary.


--Gigo

On Dec 15, 2007 5:53 PM, George wrote:

Dear Gigo, your PS was not shameless. I am not really aware of most of the organizations stressing culture and art. I don't know that I am interested enough to become involved but who knows? Maybe later.


I am a foreigner who should not be involved in the Philippine education, etc. but I hate to see the deterioration in the education system due to so many problems. I personally think the Philippines is behind a curve which it will not be able to extract itself from. The other countries mentioned are so far ahead of the Philippines now and will only increase that lead as the Philippines try to do something about their education system. Sad.

George


----- Original Message -----
From: Gigo Alampay
To: George
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: Better without English?

Thanks
.

To be fair, I don't think that De Quiros was really saying that English was unimportant. I think he was using the theme to say that people in other Southeast Asian countries seemed more committed to their nation's development than ours. (I don't agree with that assessment either) :-)

But, you point is well taken. I am not aware of any such studies either.

Best,

--Gigo

P.S. I might as well use this opportunity to promote CANVAS, the NGO that I head (to promote Philippine art and culture). If interested, please visit our website at www.canvas.ph. Otherwise, feel free to ignore this shameless plug. :-)


On Dec 15, 2007 10:46 AM, George wrote:

Dear Gigo,

I read your article with interest and do take exception to those who write that English is not necessary to the young of the Philippines. I wonder what unbiased studies have been done to determine the rightful place for countries in their ability to speak English and their subsequent success in the world? I wonder, too, has there been studies worldwide to determine the percentages relative to the working status of Filipino OFWs? How many are graduates of college and holding positions relative to their educational attainment? That is, what is the percentage of OFWs working in their field at responsibile and appropriate levels versus working at the levels of handyman, drivers, laborers, etc. My guess is that not many are working at the levels of their education. If not, could it be their English is insufficient to have those types of responsibilities?

Please don't use my name nor do I want a series of emails. I just thought you might like to see my comments for whatever personal use you have. I am not interested in debating any of this with anyone. OK? Thanks.

No comments: